Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Clitheroe Football Club


Clitheroe - Match centre

Sat 18 Oct 15:00 - The FA Trophy 14-15 Full time Attendance 220

Clitheroe 3 Droylsden 2

A last minute goal from David Lynch gave the Blues a well deserved victory over Droylsden and a home tie against Workington in the next round.

Simon Garner had to make two changes from the team which won at Burscough in midweek. Danny Wilkins was serving a one match suspension for accumulating five bookings and Cory Bent was on Lancashire FA Youth representative duty. Richard Burns and Sam Dickinson came in to the starting eleven.

The Blues started much the stronger with David Lynch having a good effort saved by Droylsden keeper Russ Saunders, after just four minutes. On 16 minutes, the Blues were in front. Danny Morton sent a deep cross in from the right touchline to Matt Fearon, who headed back across the box for Sam Dickinson to finish with a well taken first time shot.

On 22 minutes, it was 2-0 to the Blues when Richard Burns cross was well controlled on his chest by Sefton Gonzales, and he scored from six yards out.

Clitheroe 3-2 Droylsden. FA Trophy 18/10/14
21 photos

Matt Fearon came close to scoring a third goal on 34 minutes, when he hit a curling shot from a tight angle, which beat Saunders but just went past the post.

Droylsden had a couple of good chances before half time, first from right back Ali Brown who ran with ball for fifty yards before forcing Andrew Dawber in to making a good save. On 42 minutes, Dawber again saved well from Matty Burke’s free kick.

Half time 2-0.

Droylsden as expected looked much sharper in the second half and Dawber was needed again on 51 minutes to save from Sean Holden.

Liam Hutchinson replaced Sam Dickinson on 55 minutes, quickly followed by Droylsden replacing Kevin Leadbetter with Fernando Moke. It was Moke who quickly made an impact by earning his side a penalty on 58 minutes, when he was brought down in the area by Seydou Bamba. Ciaran Kilheeney converted the spot kick, to reduce the arrears.

Droylsden continued to press for an equaliser and on 63 minutes, Steve Hall broke through the Blues defence but Dawber was there again to make the save. James Walker replaced Matt Fearon on 67 minutes.

As the visitors pushed forward they risked getting caught out on the break. On 68 minutes after good approach play from Gonzales, he laid the ball off to Lynch whose shot just went wide.

Moke outpaced the Blues defence on 70 minutes and his shot was saved by Dawber. On 72 minutes, the Blues nemesis over the years, Adam Morning came on to replace Shaun Myler.

Simon Garner who ran the game in midfield superbly with David Lynch, was replaced on 76 minutes by Ross Dent. Ross was making his first appearance since breaking a bone in his foot pre-season.

With just four minutes remaining, the game’s controversial moment when Kilheeney went down in the area after Danny Morton’s tackle which he looked to have won the ball cleanly. Referee Crompton gave the penalty and Kilheeney made no mistake to level the scores.

With a replay looming it was Lynch who won the game for the Blues, with a well placed shot from 15 yards with just a minute remaining of normal time. Lynch headed towards the ‘Topside’ and was swamped by his celebrating team mates.

The drama wasn’t over as in the third minute of stoppage time, a poor clearance went straight to Droylsden’s Ben Deegan who chipped the ball over Dawber. Fortunately for the Blues it hit the top of the crossbar and that was the last action in a thrilling cup tie.

Team: Andrew Dawber, Danny Morton, Seydou Bamba, Roberto Bonaminio, Danny Brady, Simon Garner (Ross Dent 75), Richard Burns, David Lynch, Sefton Gonzales, Sam Dickinson (Liam Hutchinson 55), Matt Fearon (James Walker 67).
Subs not used: Adam Freeland & Alex Ralph.

Videos and photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors