Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Clitheroe Football Club


Clitheroe - Match centre

Bacup Borough
Tue 1 Dec 19:45 - Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy 15-16 Full time Attendance 121

Clitheroe 2-1 Bacup Borough

The Blues progressed to the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy quarter finals, after a hard fought victory over Bacup Borough.

Author: Andy Hammond

The tie had been switched from Bacup due to two weather postponements in recent weeks. Not surprisingly Simon Garner decided to make some changes after two heavy defeats against Farsley Celtic & Ossett Albion.

The Blues started strongly with both Sefton Gonzales and Michael Hampson having chances in the opening minutes. Bacup had a good opportunity on 13 minutes when Matthew Dell’s shot forced Ben Woodhead to make a smart save.

Further chances fell to Gonzales and Scott Bakkor as the Blues gained control of the first half.

It took until the 36th minutes for the opening goal and it came directly from a free kick on the edge of the box. Brandon Barski curled around the wall and in to the net to give the Blues the lead.

David Lynch had a good effort on goal on 41 minutes, which was saved well by Bacup keeper Peter Monteith.

Half time: Clitheroe 1 Bacup Borough 0

Ross Dent came close with a header from Lynch’s corner on 47 minutes and shortly afterwards Ben Woodhead had to make a good save from Kelvin Trippier’s curling shot.

Monteith’s poor clearance on 51 minutes nearly caused the Bacup keeper some embarrassment as David Lynch chipped the ball back towards the goal. The keeper managed to get back in time so save the goal. At the other end Woodhead was called on again to make a save just a minute later.

Another chance fell to Lynch on 61 minutes when he found himself in space and from a tight angle his attempted lob came back of the crossbar.

Scott Harries replaced James Walker on 63 minutes.

Bacup levelled the scores on 67 minutes, when from a free kick on the left wing was floated in to the box to find Adrian Bellamy whose header went in to the net off the bottom of the post.

Louis Mayers replaced Ross Dent immediately after the goal.

With just over ten minutes remaining and the prospect of a penalty shoot, Brandon Barski was again the man on the spot with an excellent left foot shot which gave Monteith no chance.
Bacup still pressed forward and came close to levelling again, but Woodhead again made an excellent save from substitute Marlon Barlow.

The final whistle went after three minutes stoppage and it is the Blues who will travel to Chorley in the Quarter Finals.

Clitheroe XI:
Ben Woodhead, James Heywood, Brandon Barski, Roberto Bonaminio, Wesley Benjamin, Ross Dent, (Louis Mayers 67), Scott Bakkor, David Lynch, Sefton Gonzales, Michael Hampson, James Walker (Scott Harries 61).

Subs not used:
Danny Brady, Ryan Cattermole, Jonny Hession.

Attendance 121.

Win a share of £250k for your club

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors