Sat 19
Kendal Town
C Carney (13'), C Gaul (48')
Clitheroe 2 Kendal Town 0

Clitheroe 2 Kendal Town 0

By Will Palmer
Share via

Phil Brown’s secured his third consecutive league win following a comprehensive victory against league strugglers Kendal.

An early Craig Carney strike put the Blues firmly in the driving seat before an early second half penalty secured all three points for Clitheroe.

The Blues were given a pre-match boost by the news that defenders Jordan Downing and Andy Jackson had extended their loans with the club, the former starting in the Clitheroe back line.

At the other end of the pitch, the Blues frontmen caused Town all sorts of trouble throughout the clash.

And it was Owen Watkinson who nearly opened the scoring in the first five minutes of the game after excellently controlling Oliver Wood’s headed flick on, however the forward saw his effort blocked well by the defender.

The Blues continued to dominate possession, Conor Gaul playing a searching ball across the box, but Wood’s outstretched leg couldn’t quite divert the ball into the net.

The deadlock came agonisingly close to being broken when Watkinson’s bursting run put him through on goal, but he dragged his effort inches wide of the target.

Phil Brown’s men continued their search for an opening goal, this time Terry Cummings finding Wood with an excellent cross who laid off Carney, but he could only fire his shot straight at the ‘keeper.

Following a dominant opening quarter of an hour, the Blues finally found themselves ahead through Carney after he slotted calmly past ‘keeper Morgan Bacon to give his side a deserved lead.

The visitors should have drawn themselves level when Sean Paterson rounded Connor King, but the Town forward somehow sent his effort into the side netting.

The Blues got off to the best possible start in the second half when Town defender Thomas Fagan saw red after he hacked down Watkinson in the penalty area.

Conor Gaul calmly rolled the resulting penalty into the net to double their lead.

The Blues weren’t ready to settle for a two-goal lead, goal-scorer Carney floating an excellent ball onto the chest of Watkinson who expertly picked out Wood in the centre of the box, however his effort was saved well by the onrushing ‘keeper.

After some delicate passing football down the right wing, Terry Cummings managed to tee up Daniel Gray who blasted a ferocious effort from outside the box just over the crossbar.

Once again, Cummings found himself amongst the action when he found himself in space from 18 yards, but he failed to keep his shot down.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure, substitute Charlie Mulgrew linked up wonderfully with Carney however his shot on target sailed over the bar.

Watkinson, who had caused the defenders problems all game, shrugged off the last defender before firing an effort on goal which rifled off the inside of the post and out for a throw-in.

There was still time for one more effort on goal when Cummings powered his way into the box, but his left-footed effort was sliced wide of the target.

Team : Connor King, Danny Gray, Jacob Gregory, Tom Dean, Jordan Downing (Oliver Muir), Charlie Russell (c), Terry Cummins, Craig Carney, Ollie Wood (Charlie Mulgrew), Owen Watkinson, Conor Gaul (Jake Connelly). Subs - Oliver Muir, Charlie Mulgrew, Jake Connelly. Not used - Markell Foulds, Andrew Jackson.

Kendal Town: Bacon, Fagan, Fleming (Wainwright 70’), Cloudsdale, Allington, Bamba, Maguire, Paterson, Jasskelainen, Sloan, Dickson (Hodgson 80’)

Attendance: 334.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Oct 2019






North West Division

League position

Kendal Town